Do you know and love Jesus?
Do you desire to see boys and girls put their faith in Jesus and learn to live for Him?
CEF offers a variety of ways to use your gifts and talents to serve the Lord!
Volunteers have served alongside Child Evangelism Fellowship staff from the very beginning in 1937. Today volunteers are helping CEF reach children, young people and adults in most countries around the world.
A few of the opportunities for local volunteers are highlighted below. If you have other ideas which would better utilize your unique gifts and abilities, call Twyla at the CEF office. She'll be glad to discuss additional avenues for service.
Immediate Need: Good News Club Volunteers
Good News Club Volunteers. Participate in a weekly 90-minute club for children held in a local area during the school year. Teachers prepare and teach a Bible lesson or a memory verse. Helpers have responsibilities ranging from helping with games and snacks to listening to children recite their memory verses or counseling children for salvation.
During the 2021-22 school year some of our clubs are meeting online and some are meeting in-person. We will gladly welcome volunteers for both types of clubs, but have a pressing need for volunteers to serve in-person, particularly in Bergen county.
- Be a Christian, one who has trusted Christ for salvation
- Complete the application process, including:
- Signing the CEF Statement of Faith and Worker's Compliance Agreement.
- Submitting to and passing a background check and related Child Protection Policy Sreening.
- Interview with CEF staff or committee
- Complete training requirements: approximately 6-8 hours of online videos (dependent on responsibilities) and an orientation session.
- Faithfully participate in weekly Good News Club. (Club time is approximately 90 minutes/week plus any preparation time. Clubs meet in the afternoon, after school.)
- Stay in communication with the Good News Club team leader.
- Participate in ongoing training from time-to-time.
Adults (ages 18+)
Teens (ages 14-17)
Complete the same steps as above, but be aware that we will not run a criminal background check for minors. We will check your references. Online parental consent for reference checks is required for applicants under the age of 18.
- After you enter your birthdate a pop-up notification will appear. Your parent/guardian must click OK and you can continue with the form.
- At the end of the form, your parent/guardian must be the one to check the "I Agree" box and enter their full name as a signature.
We ask for an initial commitment to six or seven weeks of Good News Club (the length of one lesson series and possibly a special club) and will then ask for ongoing commitments in 6-7 week increments.
If you find this is a good fit for you, we'd love for you to make a commitment to participate Good News Club for the entire school year.
Other Ways to Serve
Committee Members. The local committee provides oversight to the work of the local chapter. Members meet monthly, assist at events, and serve in other ways, according to their gifts.
Part-Time or Occasional Office Work. Provide help with routine administrative or clerical tasks: preparing mailings, collating materials, filing, etc. Depending on availability and skill set, take responsibility for additional administrative areas. Schedule at your convenience.
Fair Ministry Workers. Share the message of salvation with small groups of children who visit the CEF booth at local fairs. We'll provide training.
5-Day Club Workers. Participate by teaching or helping in CEF's summer ministry to children. During our Paterson Summer Outreach, adults and teens serve together to conduct clubs in locations throughout Paterson.
5-Day Club Hosts. Provide a location where children can gather for 5-Day Club. This could be a backyard, deck, garage, living room or even a meeting room at an apartment complex. Invite children and provide a simple snack. CEF will provide a teaching team.
Christian Youth in Action. High School and College-aged young people attend a week of intense training (usually held at Harvey Cedars Bible Conference) and return to spend a portion of their summer conducting 5-Day Clubs in locations across North Jersey.
Drivers for Christian Youth in Action missionaries. Drive summer missionaries to and from their clubs.
Note: Most volunteer positions require signing the CEF Statement of Faith and Workers Compliance Agreement, as well as a Confidential Screening and Criminal Background Check. Those who teach or help in direct ministry to children may also be asked to attend training before and while serving.